Logo - Belgian Tourist Office

Home > Discover > Memorial Tourism WW2 > Arlon

Memorial & Military Tourism - Arlon

In both the First World War and the Second World War, Arlon, situated just 40km from the German border, was one of the first Belgian towns to be occupied by German troops.
Several memorials in the town remind passers-by of the heroism of the Allied soldiers and local civilians during these two conflicts.

The Lieutenant Liedel Memorial
(at the corner of the Rue Godefroid Kurth and the Avenue de Longwy).
Lieutenant Félix-Louis Liedel was one of the first Belgian military pilots. He was mortally wounded when his aircraft crashed near Martelange (in the Belgian province of Luxembourg) on 26 June 1914 during a flight from Waltzing. Liedel died in Arlon Military Hospital two days after the crash and was buried in the cemetery of Anderlecht in Brussels.

10th Infantry Regiment Memorial
(Rue Godefroid Kurth).
The 10th Infantry Regiment was first stationed at the Leopold Barracks in Arlon in 1888. The barracks had been built in 1838. The regiment famously fought in the Belgian Revolution of 1831 and later in the First World War, when it suffered particularly heavy losses. In 1933, the regiment was re-named the Chasseurs Ardennais.

The Chasseurs Ardennais Memorial
(Rue Godefroid Kurth).
The Chasseurs Ardennais regiment was created from the old 10th Infantry Regiment on 10 March 1933, and its three battalions received their Colours from King Leopold III on the Waltzing plateau on 15 September 1934. The 1st battalion of the Chasseurs Ardennais were stationed at the Leopold Barracks, just next to the memorial, whose buildings are now occupied by the Arlon Fine Arts Institute and the Arlon Municipal College of Commerce and Industry.

General Patton Monument
Inaugurated in 1957, this monument commemorates US Army General George Smith Patton (1885-1945) and is located on the spot on which he made his famous speech to his men as they advanced on Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. Patton died from injuries sustained in a road accident near Heidelberg in Germany on 21 December 1945, and is buried among his US Third Army comrades in the military cemetery at Hamm in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Etienne Lenoir Memorial
This statue by the French sculptor Paul Dubois commemorates Etienne Lenoir, who was a brilliant inventor and pioneer in the world of motor-cars. He famously invented the gas engine and died at La Varenne-Saint Hilaire in France on 3 August 1900. He was buried in the Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris.

For more information, please contact the Arlon and District Tourist Information Centre. Tel: +32 (0)63 219 454,  info@arlon-tourisme.be.


 

Bookmark and Share

Belgian Tourist Office Wallonia 217 Marsh Wall London E14 9FJ Tel: 0207 531 0390 info@belgiumtheplaceto.be